Key Website Design Considerations That Should Not Be Ignored
The various design elements of a website not only add to its visual appeal, but also exert a strong influence on the user’s first impression of it.
Most importantly, the design of your company’s website can facilitate the growth of your business, increase your overall online presence, and help inspire trust among your target audience. Or not.
Whether it is the website’s color, layout, or navigation, you need to take care of several design elements when building it. Failure to do so will result in a site that is outdated and far from industry standards, which will lead to users’ distrust.
Here are a few essential design considerations to keep in mind when building your website:
1. Build an Intuitive Site Structure
Navigation is the backbone of a website. If your website is challenging or perplexing for users to navigate, it will undoubtedly reflect in your conversion rate. A lack of accessibility can never be OK and presents the risk of alienating a large section of your audience. An intuitive site structure, on the other hand, will encourage users to continue browsing.
Here’s what you should follow for effective navigation:
- Don’t overwhelm users with too many links and by overcrowding the page with chunks of text. Keep it simple. There is no need to add dozens of pages either — that can make it difficult for users to find what they’re looking for.
- Organize your content in a way that can be easily understood by the users. Make sure that the information presented is factual and consistent.
- Choose appropriate orientation so that it makes the overall site look balanced, tidy and clutter-free.
2. Choose the Right Colors
Using appropriate colors in your website’s design can help it set the right tone and convey the message to the visitors in a more precise manner.
Here’s how you can go about choosing the right colors for your website:
- Start by familiarizing yourself with the color wheel. Choose colors that allow for a harmonious color scheme.
- Colors may have different meanings in different cultures. Also, they tend to evoke different feelings. Do be mindful of this when selecting colors for your website.
- Consider contrasting colors as they will prevent your website from turning into a visual mess and help the text stand out against the background.
- Use few but enough number of colors to make your site look appealing.
Website design plays an important role in building trust with users. However, this doesn’t mean you focus only on the design and compromise on the content.
Informative, fresh and unique content is of great significance when it comes to attracting traffic to a website. Do invest sufficient time in creating great content.
Also, make sure to carefully consider the words you use, especially on your call-to-action buttons. According to ZippyCart.com, the words you use on call-to-action buttons impact your conversion rate greatly.
Moreover, using the word ‘free,’ when asking people to sign up for or download items, has been shown to increase conversions by as much as 4.2 percent.
4. Focus on SEO
When approaching website design with SEO in mind, you need to look at the bigger picture. Right from the degree of Flash you employ on your website to the HTML structure and code, the resultant design features can impact your website rankings significantly.
A SEO-friendly website will easily attract traffic. Whether you’re working on site architecture, content optimization, interlinking of pages, or getting links from other sites, make sure to incorporate the best SEO practices.
5. Design Your Home Page with Care
Your home page has to perform a number of jobs all by itself — it needs to serve a plethora of audiences and answer all their questions, that too within the first few seconds of them landing on it.
Most of all, it needs to enable them to discover your business and tell them what it’s all about. It, therefore, needs to be brilliantly designed, perhaps with more care than the other pages. You can implement the below-mentioned steps for an impressive home page:
- Establish your identity through your homepage.
- Keep it simple, devoid of excessive widgets, calls-to-action, links, and other clutter.
Choose an appropriate font type and size.
- Choose the right colors and convincing image(s).
If you’re planning to use Flash along with several images on your website, you may want to rethink doing that. While doing so can make your website appear more attractive, it will affect its load time i.e. make your website slower.
Remember, slow websites can be annoying and hinder traffic. A one-second delay in page response can result in seven percent reduction in conversions.
Page loading time plays a mammoth role in the user’s overall experience. So, think twice before adding those bells and whistles to your website because when it comes to load time, every second counts.
Your website’s design will enable users to arrive at the right inference about your company. It is essential that your website is in keeping with the modern web design standards. Building a primitive-looking, disorganized, or cluttered website will negate its credibility, which will affect your business adversely. Customer perception is of utmost importance. Your site needs to reflect quality and professionalism. The above-mentioned tips can help you integrate the necessary qualities into your website’s design and frame customer perception favorably. Make sure to invest ample resources in creating an effective website design because it will be absolutely worthwhile.